Ph.D., Civil & Environmental Engineering, Arizona State University.
M.S., Building Technology and Construction Management, IIT Madras.
B.E., Civil Engineering, Madurai Kamaraj University.
Assistant Professor, I I T Madras (July 2010 – Aug 2019)
Associate Professor (Sept 2019 – Till date)
- Planning and control of construction projects
- Sustainable construction
- Simulation based analysis of construction operations
- Construction informatics and automation
Sivakumar Palaniappan and Ashwin Mahalingam, Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances Building Sciences, 2013, ISBN: 978-93-80689-11-1, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai-600036.
- Sivakumar, Koshy Varghese, and N. Ramesh Babu (2003) Automated path planning of cooperative crane lifts using heuristic search, ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 17(3), 197-207.
- Sawhney, A., Walsh, K.D., Bashford, H.H., and Palaniappan, S. (2009). “Impact of inspected buffers on production parameters of construction processes” ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, 135(4), 319-329.
- Palaniappan, S., Bashford, H. H., Li, K., Fafitis, A., and Stecker, L. (2009). “Carbon emissions based on transportation for post-tensioned slab foundation construction: A production home building study in the Greater Phoenix Arizona area.” International Journal of Construction Education and Research, Taylor and Francis, 5(4), 236-260.
- Pinky Devi and Sivakumar Palaniappan (2014) “A case study on life cycle energy use of residential building in Southern India”, Energy and Buildings, Elsevier, 80, 247-259.
- Anna George Nellickal and Sivakumar Palaniappan (2015) Built Environment Sustainability: Review of Key Concepts, NICMAR Journal of Construction Management, 30(1), 5-18.
- Sourabh Mehta, Arjun Chandur, Sivakumar Palaniappan (2017) Life Cycle Energy Assessment of a Multi-storey Residential Building, Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series A, Springer, 98(1-2), 155–162.
- Pinky Devi, Sivakumar Palaniappan (2017) A study on energy use for excavation and transport of soil during building construction, Journal of Cleaner Production, Elsevier, Volume 164, Pages 543-556
- Pinky Devi & Sivakumar Palaniappan (2018): Life cycle energy analysis of a low-cost house in India, International Journal of Construction Education and Research, 15 (4), 256-275.
- Narayanan, S., Kure, A.M. & Palaniappan, S. (2019) Study on Time and Cost Overruns in Mega Infrastructure Projects in India, Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series A, 100(1), 139–145.
- Gettu, R., Patel, A., Rathi, V., Prakasan,S., Basavaraj, A.S., Palaniappan, S., Maity,S. (2019) Influence of supplementary cementitious materials on the sustainability parameters of cements and concretes in the Indian context, Materials and Structures, 52(1), Article 10.
- R. Subhash Varma and S. Palaniappan (2019) Comparision of green building rating schemes used in North America, Europe and Asia, Habitat International, 89, Article 101989.
- R. Rethnam, S. Palaniappan, V. Ashokkumar (2019) Life cycle cost analysis of 1MW power generation using roof-top solar PV panels, Built Environment Project and Asset Management, 10(1), pp. 124-139.
- Cherian, S. Palaniappan, D. Menon and M.P. Anumolu (2020) Comparative study of embodied energy of affordable houses made using GFRG and conventional building technologies in India, Energy and Buildings, Volume 223, 15 September 2020, Article number 110138.
- Sanoop Prakasan, Sivakumar Palaniappan and Ravindra Gettu (2020) Study of Energy Use and CO2 Emissions in the Manufacturing of Clinker and Cement, Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series A, 101(1), pp. 221-232.
- Sivakumar, PL., Varghese, K., and Ramesh Babu, N. (1999). “Path planning of construction manipulators using genetic algorithms.” Proc., 16th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, 555-560.
- Sivakumar, PL., Varghese, K., and Ramesh Babu, N. (2000). “Path planning of cooperative construction manipulators using genetic algorithms.” Proc., 17th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, 439-444.
- Sivakumar, PL., Varghese, K., and Ramesh Babu, N. (2000). “Automated path planning of two 3-DOF planar cooperative manipulators using genetic algorithms.”
, 19th All India Manufacturing Technology and Design Research Conference, 445-450.
- Sawhney, A., Bashford, H.H., Palaniappan, S., Walsh, K.D., and Thompson. J. (2005). “A discrete event simulation model to analyze the residential construction inspection process.” Proc., Int. Conf. on Computing in Civil Eng., ASCE, Reston, Va.
- Palaniappan, S., Sawhney, A., and Sarjoughian, H.S. (2006). “Application of DEVS framework in construction simulation.” Proc., Winter Simulation Conference, Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, N.J., 2077-2086.
- Palaniappan, S., and Sawhney, A. (2006). “Standard template library based discrete event simulation engine.” Symposium on Research in Engineering and Applied Sciences, Fulton Graduate Student Association, Ira A. Fulton School of Engineering, Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona, USA.
- Mahalingam, A., Varghese, K., Sawhney, A., Palaniappan, S., and Walsh, K.D. (2007). “An integrated project planning system for tsunami mass housing in India.” Proc., Construction Research Congress, ASCE, Reston, Va.
- Palaniappan, S., Sawhney, A., Janssen, M.A., and Walsh. K.D. (2007). “Modeling construction safety as an agent based emergent phenomenon.” Proc., 24th International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction, 375-382.
- Palaniappan, S., Sawhney, A., Bashford, H.H., and Walsh, K.D. (2007). “Special purpose simulation template for workflow analysis in construction.” Proc., Winter Simulation Conf., Institution of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, N.J., 2090-2098.
- Palaniappan, S., Bashford, H. H., Fafitis, A., Li, K., and Stecker, L. (2009). “Carbon emissions based on ready-mix concrete transportation: A production home building case study in the Greater Phoenix Arizona area.” Proc., Associated Schools of Construction 45th Annual International Conference, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida.
- Palaniappan, S., Bashford, H., Li, K., Crittenden, J., Fafitis, A., Stecker, L. and Hay, S. (2012) “Carbon emissions of on-site equipment use in post-tensioned slab foundation construction”, Proceedings of ASCE Construction Research Congress, May 21-23, 1662-1671.
- Pinky L., Reddy, S.M. and Palaniappan, S. (2012) “Application of life cycle assessment for a residential building construction”, Proceedings of the International Symposium on Life Cycle Assessment and Construction, July 10-12, 213-222.
- Pinky Devi, S. Aysha and S. Palaniappan (2014) Comparision of life cycle energy use of high-rise residential buildings, 13th International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies (SET2014), 1-11, Aug 25-28.
- Anna George Nellickal, A. Vijaya Rajendra, and Sivakumar Palaniappan (2015) A conceptual lean-based framework for improving the environmental performance of ready-mixed concrete production processes, Proceedings of the 4th World Construction Symposium, 1-11, June 12-14, 2015, Colombo.
- Anna George Nellickal, A. Vijaya Rajendra, and Sivakumar Palaniappan (2015) A simulation-based model for evaluating the performance of ready-mixed concrete (RMC) production processes, 49th International Conference of the Architectural Science Association (ANZAScA), 658-667, December 2-4, 2015, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia.
- Pinky Devi and Sivakumar Palaniappan (2016) A Framework for Assessment of Energy Use of High-rise Building Construction Processes, 2016 ASCE Construction Research Congress, 1010-1019, San Juan, Puerto Rico, USA, May 31-June 2, 2016.
- Gettu, S. Prakasan, A. Patel, V. Rathi, K. Nagrath, S. Palaniappan, S. Maity (2016) Process Mapping and Preliminary Assessment of Life Cycle Impact in Indian Cement Plants, Sustainable Built Environment (SBE) Regional Conference (Expanding Boundaries: Systems Thinking for the Built Environment), 430-435, June 15-17, Zurich.
- Pinky Devi and Sivakumar Palaniappan (2017) Study of Human Embodied Energy for Masonry Work During Building Construction, World Sustainable Built Environment Conference 2017, Hong Kong, 907-913.
- Anna George Nellickal and Sivakumar Palaniappan (2017) Study of Eco-Efficiency of Ready-Mixed Concrete Production Processes, International Conference on Advances in Construction Materials and Systems (ICACMS 2017) & RILEM PRO 118, Volume 4, 729-738, September 3-8, 2017, Chennai, India.
- Palaniappan & V. Bindu Inti (2018) Development of a simplified methodology for creating embodied energy database of construction materials and processes in India, IALCCE 2018: The Sixth International Symposium on Life-Cycle Civil Engineering, Life-Cycle Analysis and Assessment in Civil Engineering: Towards an Integrated Vision, Editors: Robby Caspeele, Luc Taerwe & Dan M. Frangopol, 833-839, ISBN 978-1-138-62633-1.
- R. Omprakash, Sivakumar Palaniappan and Pandian Ganesh Kumar (2018) Techno-Economic Feasibility Study of using Solar Energy for Operating Sewage Treatment Plants, 7th World Construction Symposium, Organized by the Ceylon Institute of Builders (CIOB) & Department of Building Economics, University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka (BEPAM highly commended paper award).
- Ganga Warrier, Pavankumar Tadepalli and Sivakumar Palaniappan (2019) Low-Cost Housing in India: A Review, IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, Vol 294, Issue 1, Article 12092.
- Velmurugan Ashokkumar, Sivakumar Palaniappan and Aarthipriya Venkataraman (2020) Evaluation of Sustainability Indicators of Green Buildings in India, ASCE Construction Research Congress 2020
- CE 5020 Construction Planning and Control
- CE 5014 Sustainable Construction
- CE 3241 Approaches for Sustainable Infrastructure and Environmental Systems
- CE 5100 Construction Software Lab
- CE 2330 Building Materials and Construction