- 2017 Ph.D, Department of Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology (I.I.T), Kanpur, U.P., India.
- 2008 B.Tech, National Institute of Technology (N.I.T), Warangal, Telangana, India.
- 2020-onwards: Assistant Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
- 2017-2020 Post Doctorate Research Associate, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), Richland, WA, USA
- 2013 Graduate Visiting Fellow, National Centre for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), Boulder, Colorado, U.S.A
- 2008-2010 Construction Engineer,Shapoorji Pallonji Pvt. Limited, Hyderabad, India
- Aerosol-cloud-climate interactions
- Impact of climate change on Cloud systems and rainfall
- Impact of aerosols on Evapotranspiration and land-atmosphere interactions
- Effect of dust deposition on snow darkening and Himalayan glaciers
- Urban heat island effect and air quality over megacities
- Extreme rainfall and coupling with aerosols and urbanization
- Cloud seeding research
My google scholar page link https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ZSS1YMIAAAAJ&hl=en
- Niu, H., S. Kang, Y. Wang, Sarangi, C., D. Rupakheti, Y. Qian, Measurements of light-absorbing impurities in snow over four glaciers on the Tibetan Plateau, Atmospheric Research, Volume 243, 2020, 105002, ISSN 0169-8095. (I.F. = 4.1)
- Choudhury, G., Tyagi, B., Vissa, N. K., Singh, J., Sarangi, C., Tripathi, S. N., and Tesche, M.: Aerosol-induced high precipitation events near the Himalayan foothills, Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss., https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-2020-440, in review, 2020 (I.F. = 5.5)
- Turner, A.G., Bhat, G.,S., Sarangi C, et al. Interaction of convective organization with monsoon precipitation, atmosphere, surface and sea: The 2016 INCOMPASS field campaign in India. Q J R Meteorol Soc. 2019; 125. https://doi.org/10.1002/qj.3633 (I.F. = 3.8)
- Chakraborty, T., Sarangi, C., Krishnan, M. et al. (2019) Biases in Model-Simulated Surface Energy Fluxes During the Indian Monsoon Onset Period Boundary-Layer Meteorology, https://doi.org/10.1007/s10546-018-0395 (I.F=2.6)
- Arun Nair, Siddarth S. Das, Abin Thomas, Sarangi C., Vijay P. Kanawade, Role of Cyclone “Ockhi” in the re-distribution of aerosols and its impact on the precipitation over the Arabian Sea, Atmospheric Research, Volume 235,2020,104797, ISSN 0169-8095 (I.F. = 4.1)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosres.2019.104797.
- Thomas, A., Sarangi, C.* & Kanawade, V.P. Recent Increase in Winter Hazy Days over Central India and the Arabian Sea. Nature Scientific Reports 9, 17406 (2019) doi:10.1038/s41598-019-53630-3 (I.F. = 4.2)
- Goutam Choudhury, Bhishma Tyagi, Jyotsna Singh, Sarangi C., S.N. Tripathi, Aerosol-orography-precipitation – A critical assessment, Atmospheric Environment, Volume 214,2019,116831, ISSN 1352-2310,https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2019.116831 (I.F. = 4.0)
- Sarangi, C., Qian, Y., Rittger, K., Bormann, K. J., Liu, Y., Wang, H., Wan, H., Lin, G., and Painter, T. H.: Impact of light-absorbing particles on snow albedo darkening and associated radiative forcing over high-mountain Asia: high-resolution WRF-Chem modeling and new satellite observations, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 19, 7105–7128, https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-19-7105-2019, 2019 (I.F. = 5.6)
- V.P. Kanawade, A.K. Srivastava, K. Ram, E. Asmi, V. Vakkari, V.K. Soni, V. Varaprasad, C. Sarangi; What caused severe air pollution episode of November 2016 in New Delhi? Atmospheric Environment,2019,117125, ISSN 1352-2310,
- https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atmosenv.2019.117125. (I.F. = 4.0)
- Rutz, J. J., Shields, C., Sarangi.C., et al (2019). The Atmospheric River
- Tracking Method Inter-comparison Project (ARTMIP): Quantifying Uncertainties in Atmospheric River Climatology. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres,124. https://doi.org/10.1029/2019JD030936 (I.F. = 3.8)
- Sarangi, C., Kanawade V.P., Tripathi S.N., Thomas A. and D. Ganguly (2018)
- Aerosol-induced intensification of cooling effect of clouds during Indian summer Monsoon, Nature Communication, https://doi.org/10.1038/s41467-018-06015 (I.F. 12.4)
- Zhong, S., Qian, Y., Sarangi, C., Zhao, C., Leung, R., Wang, H., et al Urbanization effect on winter haze in the Yangtze River Delta region of China. Geophysical Research Letters. https://doi.org/10.1029/2018GL077239.(I.F. = 4.25)
- Sarangi, C., Tripathi, S. N., Qian, Y., Kumar, S., & Ruby Leung, L.(2018). Aerosol and urban land use effect on rainfall around cities in Indo-Gangetic Basin from observations and cloud resolving model simulations. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 123, 3645– 3667. https://doi.org/10.1002/2017JD028004 (I.F. = 3.5)
- George, G., Sarangi, C., Tripathi, S. N., Chakraborty, T., & Turner, A., (2018). Vertical structure and radiative forcing of monsoon clouds over Kanpur during the 2016 INCOMPASS field campaign. Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 123, 2152–2174. https://doi.org/10.1002/2017JD027759 (I.F. = 3.5)
- Shields, C. A., Sarangi, C., et al., (2018): Atmospheric River Tracking Method Intercomparison Project (ARTMIP): Project Goals and Experimental Design, Geosci. Model Dev, https://doi.org/10.5194/gmd-2017-295. (I.F. = 3.5)
- Sarangi, C., Tripathi, S.N., Kanawade, V. P., Koren, I., and D. S. Pai (2017): Investigation of aerosol-cloud-rainfall association over Indian Summer Monsoon region, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics, 17, 5185–5204, https://doi.org/10.5194/acp-17-5185-2017. (I.F. = 5.3)
- Chakraborty, T., Sarangi, C. and S.N. Tripathi (2017); Understanding diurnal and inter seasonality of a sub-tropical urban heat-island, Boundary- Layer Meteorology, doi: 10.1007/s10546-016-0223-0. (I.F. = 2.6)
- Sarangi, C., Tripathi S.N., Mishra, A., Goel, A. and E. J. Welton (2016); Elevated aerosol layers and radiative impact over Kanpur during monsoon onset period, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 121, 7936-7957, Doi:10.1002/2015JD024711. (I.F. = 3.5)
- Sarangi, C., Tripathi, S.N., Tripathi S. and M. C. Barth (2015); Aerosol-cloud associations over Gangetic Basin during a typical monsoon depression event using WRF-Chem simulation, Journal of Geophysical Research: Atmospheres, 120(20), 10974-10995
Research and Consultancy
Honors and Awards
- Editor’s Award for outstanding reviewers from the scientific journal “Advances in Atmospheric Sciences” in 2018.
- Best Oral presentation award in International conference on Aerosol Climate Change Connection (AC3), April, 2017, Bose Institute, Darjeeling, India (co-authored with Geet George and S.N. Tripathi).
- Graduate Visitor Program fellowship in 2013 to pursue doctoral research at National Centre for Atmospheric Research (NCAR), Colorado, USA.
- DAAD-SANDWICH scholarship to pursue research in Germany for academic year 2011-2012 (not availed).
- IIT Kanpur departmental academic excellence award for the year 2010-2011.