B.Tech in Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India, 1984
M.S. in Civil Engineering (Construction Engineering and Management), Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina, USA, 1986
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering (Project Management and Construction Engineering), Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina, USA, 1991
Professor January 2004 to present, IIT Madras
Visiting Professor, Iowa State University, USA, July-December, 2009
Associate Professor September 2000 to January 2004, IIT Madras
Assistant Professor June ’94 to September 2000, IIT Madras
Lecturer January 1993 to June 1994, IIT Madras
Visiting Faculty October 1991 to January 1993, IIT Madras
Graduate Teaching and Research Assistant. August 1984 to May 1991, Clemson University, Clemson, South Carolina, USA
- Project Management
- Quality Management
- Construction Methods and Equipment
- Construction Contracts
- Public Private Partnerships
- Singh, L. B., and Satyanarayana Kalidindi (2009). “Desirability rating analysis for debt financing of public–private partnership road projects,” Construction Management and Economics, (September 2009) Vol. 27, pp. 823-837.
- Singh, L. B., and Satyanarayana Kalidindi, (2009), “Criteria Influencing Debt Financing of Indian PPP Road Projects – a Case Study”, Journal of Financial Management of Property and Construction, Vol.14, No. 1, pp. 34 – 60.
- Singh, L. B., and Satyanarayana Kalidindi, (2006) “Traffic Revenue Risk Management through Annuity Model of PPP Road Projects in India,” International Journal of Project Management, 24 (2006), 605-613.
- Thomas, A. V., Satyanarayana Kalidindi, Ganesh L. S. (2006) “Modelling and Assessment Of Critical Risks In BOT Road Projects”, Construction Management and Economics, (April 2006) Vol. 24, pp. 407-424.
- Thomas, A. V., Satyanarayana Kalidindi, Ananthanarayanan K. (2005) “Adequacy of Developmental Efforts in Indian BOT Road Projects,” Indian Highways, Vol. 33, No. 7, July 2005, pp. 41-55.
- Charlesraj, V.P.C., and Satyanarayana Kalidindi, (2004) “Knowledge Management in Construction Organsations – A Lesson Learned Systems Approach,” NICMAR Journal of Construction Management, Co. XIX, No. III, pp. 43-59
- Thomas, A. V., Satyanarayana Kalidindi, and Ananthanarayanan K. (2003) “Identification of Risk Factors and Risk Management Strategies for BOT Road Projects in India”, Indian Highways, Vol. 31, No. 12, pp.53-75.
- V. Thomas, Satyanarayana N. Kalidindi, K. Ananthanarayanan, “Risk Perception Analysis of BOT Road Project Participants in India,” Construction Management and Economics, Vol 21, No. 4, June-2003, pp 393-407
- Iyer, K.C., Satyanarayana, K.N. and Ganesh, L.S., “Identification of Dispute Prone Contract Clauses – A Basis for Operational Flexibility in Contract Administration”, Global Journal of Flexibility Systems Management, 3(4), 2002, pp 39-51
- K. Chandrashekhar Iyer, Kalidindi N. Satyanarayana, “Final and binding power clauses in Indian construction contracts,” International Journal of Project Management, Vol 20, No. 1, Jan-2002, pp 13-22
- Iyer, K. C., Satyanarayana N. Kalidindi, Ganesh, L. S., “Effects of Construction Contract Clauses on Occurrence of Disputes in India” Asia Pacific Building and Construction Management Journal, Vol. 6, 2001, pp. 13-24.
- Thomas, A. V., Satyanarayana, K. N., Ananthanarayanan, K., “Management of Privatised Infrastructure Development in India: Key Issues”, Civil Engineering Division, Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India), Vol. 82, June 2001, pp. 52-56.
- Satyanarayana, K. N., “Education and Training in Computer Applications and IT for Construction,” Indian Concrete Journal, Vol. 74, No. 12, December 2000, pp.727-730.
- Ramamurthy, K., Satyanarayana, K. N., and Kalyanaraman, V., “Civil Engineering Education, Research and Development: Need for Wider Industry-Institute Interaction,”, Journal of Indian Buildings Congress, Vol. 7, No.1, 2000, pp. 38-41.
- Satyanarayana, K. N., Iyer, K. C., “Evaluation of Delays in Indian Construction Contracts,” Architectural Engineering Division, Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India), Vol. 77, September 1996, pp. 14-22.
- Chandrashekar Iyer, K., Satyanarayana N. Kalidindi, Mathews, M. S., “Deviation Clauses in Government Construction Contracts,” Architectural Engineering Division, Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India), Vol.76, March 1996, pp. 23-28.
Research and Consultancy
Major sponsored Research Projects
Power Tools Applications in Indian Construction Industry, AICTE funded project on Industry Institute Partnership Programme. Amount – Rs. 75,000/-, 9 months duration commencing from April 2000.
Infrastructure for Decision Support Systems for Cyclone Disaster Mitigation, Project sponsored by Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India under the Thrust Area in Technical Education scheme. Amount – Rs. 1.2 Million, 2 years duration commencing from April 1999. Other investigators: Dr. A. Meher Prasad (Chief Coordinator), Dr. Koshy Varghese, Dr. L. S. Ganesh, Dr. C. Rajendran.
Off-line Planning and Simulation for Multiple Mobile Crane Lifts, project sponsored by Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, New Delhi. Amount – Rs. 0.957 million, 2 years duration commencing from December 1997. Other investigators: Dr. Koshy Varghese (Chief Coordinator), Dr. N. Ramesh Babu.
GIS Laboratory for Engineering Applications, project sponsored by All India Council for Technical Education (under Thrust Area in Technical Education (TAPTEC) scheme). Amount – Rs.1.1 million, 3 years duration.March 1995 – March 1998. Other investigators: Dr. Koshy Varghese (Chief Coordinator), Mr. S. K. Ramesh.
Multimedia Approach to Construction Productivity Studies, project sponsored by Centre for Industrial Consultancy & Sponsored Research, IIT, Madras. Amount – Rs. 50,000 – 1 year duration, October 1993.
Decision Support System for Earthmoving Operations, project sponsored by Centre for Industrial Consultancy & Sponsored Research, IIT, Madras, Amount – 1 project associate’s salary (approx. Rs.40,000), 1 year duration, October 1993. Other investigators: Dr. G. Srinivasan, Dr. C. Rajendran.
Natural Hazards Mitigation Mission Project, project sponsored by Planning Commission. Amount: Rs. 500,000, 2 years duration. Other investigators: Multi-disciplinary team
Mojar Consultancy Projects
Development of Software for Decision Support Systems Required in the Preparation of ICMAM plans for Goa and Gulf of Kutch – Department of Ocean Development – ICMAM Project Directorate – Rs. 1.68 million – 1999-2001.
Co-Investigators: Dr. Koshy Varghese (Chief Coordinator), Dr. L. S. Ganesh, Mr. S. K. Ramesh
Advice on Setting Up of Construction Web Site, MFL Net Services (P) Ltd., 2000.
Development of Cost Models for Evaluation on Gypboard Panels, Business Consulting Group, Madras, 1997. Co-Investigator: Dr. R. Ambalavanan.
Soil Fly Ash Mixture for Ash Dyke Construction, Tamil Nadu Electricity Board, Dr. S.R. Gandhi, 1996.
Advice on Construction Management of a Locker Facility Building, Dedicated Lockers Pvt. Ltd., Madras, 1995-96. Co-Investigators: Dr. R. Ambalavanan.
Common Effluent Treatment Plants Consultancy, Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board, 1994-1997. Co-Investigators: Interdisciplinary.
Project Management Services for Graphite Beneficiation Plant, Tamil Nadu Minerals Ltd., 1993-1997. Co-Investigators: Interdisciplinary Design and Project Management Services for Subway Construction, Corporation of Madras, 1993. Co-Investigators: , Prof. P.K. Aravindan, Prof. V.S. Raju, Dr. Koshy Varghese.
Computerization of Bridge Construction Project Activities, V. Manickam, Engineering Contractor, 1992.
Present MS Thesis
- “Study on current status and decision process of Mechanization in Indian Building Construction projects”, Kalairasan.C
Present Phd Thesis
- “Identification and Assessment of competencies for implementing urban public private partnership projects”, Ganesh A. Devkar
- “Analysis of the Approval Process and its impact on the outcome of Infrastructure Projects “, Aneetha.V
Completed MS Thesis
- “Identification and Evaluation of Factors Affecting Time and Cost Overruns in Indian Defence Building Construction Projects”, G. Mony, 2009.
- “Bridge Management System for Cable-Stayed Bridges”, Vinod Kumar Singh, 2006
- “Lesson Learned Information System for Construction Organisations” V. Paul Christopher Charlesraj, December 2000
- “An Extended Object Model for Engineering Design Workflows” T. R. Nagaraj Gopinath, February 2000.
Completed PhD Thesis
- “ Debt Financing of Public Private Partnerships (PPP) Road Projects”, Laishram Boeing Singh, 2009
- “Identification, Assessment and Allocation of Critical Risks in Indian BOT Road Projects” A. V. Thomas, January 2003. Co-guide: Dr. K. Ananthanarayanan
- “Identification and Evaluation of Dispute-Prone Clauses in Indian Construction Contracts” K. Chandrashekar Iyer, July 1997. Co-guide: Dr. M. S. Mathews
- Construction Methods and Equipment
- Construction Economics & Finance
- Construction Contracts and Specifications
- Construction Quality and Safety Management
- 2010 Outstanding Paper Award for the paper entitled “Criteria influencing debt financing of Indian PPP road projects: a case study” in the journal “ Financial Management of Propert and construction “. Vol 14 No.1, 2009. Awarded by Emarald Literati Network
- The Suchit Kumar Ghosh Memorial Medal for the paper entitled “Management of Privatised Infrastructure Development in India : Key Issues.” Awarded by the Institution of Engineers (India). Date of Award: 20-12-2002
- IBC Medal in recognition of highly commended paper titled “Civil Engineering Education, Research and Development: Need for Wider Industy-Institute Interaction” Date of award: 10-5-2001
- The Institution of Engineers (India) Certificate of Merit for 1995-96 for the paper “Deviation Clauses in Indian Government Construction Contracts” published in the Journal of the Institution. Date of award: 21-12-1996
- College of Engineering nominee for Clemson University Outstanding Teaching Assistant award, 1991
- Chi Epsilon (Civil Engineering Honor Society, USA)