- Jan 2000 – July 2003, Postdoctoral Research Associate,
University of Illinois @Urbana Chamapaign, U.S.A.
Understanding bioremediation of petroleum and solvent contaminated aquifers using porescale micromodels.
- December 1999, Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering. Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY
Dissertation: An Investigation of the Dissolution of Non-aqueous Phase Liquids ( NAPL) in Heterogeneous Porous Media
NAPL refers to immiscible and slightlyt miscible liquids such as Petroleum and solvents
- May 1993, M.E. in Environmental Engg.
Centre for Environmental Studies, Anna University, India.
Thesis: Optimal Design of Industrial Waste Water Collection system
- May 1991, B.E. in Civil Engineering
College of Engineering Guindy, Anna University, Madras, India.
- Professor, Environment and Water Resources Division, Department of Civil Engineering, IITMadras
- Associate Professor and Head of the Lab, Environment and Water Resources Division, Department of Civil Engineering, IITMadras (Dec 2012 – Dec 2015)
- Assistant Professor, Division of Water Resources & Environmental Engineering, Department of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras (2005- 2012)
- Consultant at M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation, Madras (2004-2005)
- Post-doctoral Research Associate at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA (2000-2003)
- Teaching Assistant / Research Assistant at Clarkson University, New York, USA (1994-2000)
- Design Engineer, Larsen and Toubro Inc., Chennai (1993-94)
Ground water – Contaminant fate and transport.
Remediation of contaminated soil and groundwater – Chromium,Petroleum compound pesticide & micro pollutants
Hazardous chemicals – Risk assessment and management
Water Treatment, Wastewater reuse, Solid waste managment
Industrial Waste Water Treatment – Electro plating, tannery and textile.
Environment Impact Assessment
Electro Chemical methods for contaminated water & Soil
Biogas from food waste .
Microfuel cells coupled waste water treatment & Chromium recovery.
Petro Chemical waste & waste water treatment
Removal of antibiotics & antimicrobial resistance in water system
- Waste water reuse for irrigation and its impacts on environment
- Application of advanced oxidation and nanotechnology for treatment of industrial waste and wastewater.
- Developing sustainable solutions for improving water quality in Pallikaranai marsh land
- Fate and transport of petroleum spills and remediation of petroleum contamianted aquifers
- Migration and entrapment of Mercury in ground water and remediation of contaminated aquifers.
- Mitigation of pumping effects on saline water intrusion and upcoming in coastal aquifers
- Development of innovative treatment technology for emerging pollutant
- Microbial fuel cells and other electro chemical technology for waste water treatment and recovery
Anaerobic biosurfactant production for degradation of solvents in contaminated aquifers
- AmbikaSelvaraj, Indumathi M Nambi, Optimized synthesis of Methanol-Assisted nZVI for Assessing Reactivity using Systematic Chemical Speciation Approach at neutral and alkaline conditions, Journal of Water process Engineering, Elsevier (status – under review)
- AmbikaSelvaraj, Indumathi M Nambi, A Study on Chemical Speciation in Granular and Micro ZVI Mediated Cr(VI) Removal, Environmental Technology, Taylor and Francis (status – submitted) IF – 1.56
- AmbikaSelvaraj, Indumathi M Nambi, Synchronized heavy metal and organic compound removal using advanced Fenton process, Water Research, Elsevier (status -submitted) IF – 5.528
- Gangadharan, P., Nambi, I. M., &Senthilnathan, J. (2016). Heterocyclic Aminopyrazine-reduced graphene oxide coated carbon cloth electrode as an active bio-electrocatalyst for extracellular electron transfer in microbial fuel cell. RSC Advances. (under review)
- AmbikaSelvaraj, Indumathi M Nambi, SenthilnathanJeganathan (2016), Low temperature synthesis of CMC-Fe2+(-nZVI) hybrid for environmental applications, Chemical Engineering Journal, Chemical Engineering Journal, Volume 289, 1 April 2016, Pages 544-553. IF – 4.321
- Ansaf V Karim, AmbikaSelvaraj, Indumathi M Nambi (2016), Performance Enhancement of Zero Valent Iron Based Systems Using Depassivators: Optimization and Kinetic Mechanisms, Water Research, Elsevier IF – 5.528
- AmbikaSelvaraj, Indumathi M Nambi, Devasena Sridhar (2016), Synthesis, Characterization and Performance of High Energy Ball Milled Meso-Scale Zero Valent Iron in Fenton Reaction, Journal of Environmental Management, Elsevier IF – 2.522
- Vasudevan, M., Suresh Kumar, G., and Nambi, I.M. (2016). Scenario-based modeling of mass transfer mechanisms at a petroleum contaminated field site-numerical implications. J. Env. Manage. 175, 9-19. DOI: 10.1016/j.jenvman.2016.03.009. ISSN: 0301-4797.
- OmkarGaonkar., G. Suresh Kumar., and I. M. Nambi. (2016). “Numerical Modelling on Fate and Transport of Coupled Adsorption and Biodegradation of Pesticides in an Unsaturated Porous Medium” (DOI: 10.1080/09715010.2016.1166073) ISH Journal of Hydraulic Engineering (Taylor and Francis Publications). Impact Factor- 0.111
- Mekala, C and Nambi, I.M (2016) “Transport of ammonium and nitrate in saturated porous media incorporating physio biotransformations and bioclogging ”, Bioremediation Journal, 20, No. 2, 117–132. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10889868.2015.1113925
- Berlin M, Indumathi M Nambi, and Suresh Kumar G (2015). “Experimental and Numerical Investigation on Nitrogen Species Transport in Unsaturated Soil during Various Irrigation Patterns”. Sadhana, 40(8), 2429-2455.
- Berlin M,Vasudevan M, Suresh Kumar G,andIndumathi M Nambi (2015). “Numerical Modeling on Fate and Transport of Petroleum Hydrocarbons in an Unsaturated Sub-surface System for Varying Source Scenario”. Journal of Earth System Science, 124: 655-674.
- Berlin M, Suresh Kumar G,andIndumathi M Nambi(2015). “Numerical modeling of biological clogging on transport of nitrate in an unsaturated porous media”. Environmental Earth Sciences, 73(7): 3285-3298.
- Devasena M and Nambi, I.M (2015) Pore Scale Investigations on Residual Mercury. Journal of Porous Media, 18 (12): 1221–1229.
- Vasudevan, M., Suresh Kumar, G., and Nambi, I.M. (2015). Numerical modeling on rate limited dissolution mass transfer of entrapped petroleum hydrocarbons in a saturated sub-surface system. ISH J. Hydrau. Engg. 22(1), 3-15. DOI:10.1080/09715010.2015.1043596. ISSN: 2164-3040.
- Berlin, M., Vasudevan, M., Suresh Kumar, G., and Nambi, I.M. (2015). Numerical modelling on fate and transport of petroleum hydrocarbons in an unsaturated sub-surface system for varying source scenario. J. Earth Sys. Sci. 124 (3), 655-674. DOI: 10.1007/s12040-015-0562-0. ISSN: 0973-774X.
- Gangadharan, P., Nambi, I.M., 2015. Hexavalent chromium reduction and energy recovery by using dual-chambered microbial fuel cell. Water Sci. Technol. 71, 353. doi:10.2166/wst.2014.524
- Gangadharan, P., Nambi, I. M., &Senthilnathan, J. (2015). Liquid crystal polaroid glass electrode from e-waste for synchronized removal/recovery of Cr+ 6 from wastewater by microbial fuel cell. Bioresource technology, 195, 96-101.
- Berlin M, Suresh Kumar G, and Indumathi M Nambi(2014). “Numerical modeling on transport of nitrogen from wastewater and fertilizer applied on paddy fields”. Ecological Modeling, 278: 85-99.
- Berlin M, Suresh Kumar G, and Indumathi M Nambi(2014). “Numerical modeling on the effect of dissolved oxygen on nitrogen transformation and transport in unsaturated porous system”. Environmental Modeling and Assessment, 19(4): 283-299.
- Vasudevan, M., Suresh Kumar, G., and Nambi, I.M. (2014). Numerical study on kinetic/equilibrium behavior of dissolution of toluene under variable subsurface conditions. Euro. J. Environ. Civil Engg. 18(9): 1070-1093. DOI: 10.1080/19648189.2014.922902. ISSN: 2116-7214.
- Vasudevan, M., Suresh Kumar, G., and Nambi, I.M. (2014). Numerical modeling of multicomponent LNAPL dissolution kinetics at residual saturation in a saturated subsurface system. Sadhana, 39(Part 6).1387-1408. DOI: 10.1007/s12046-014-0282-1. ISSN: 0973-7677.
- Vasudevan, M., Suresh Kumar, G., and Nambi, I.M. (2014). Numerical studies on kinetics of sorption and dissolution and their interactions for estimating mass removal of toluene from entrapped soil pores. Arab. J. Geosci. 8 (9), 6895-6910. DOI: 10.1007/s12517-014-1681-7. ISSN: 1866-7511.
- Berlin M, Suresh Kumar G, and Indumathi M Nambi(2013). “Numerical modeling on the fate and transport of nitrate in an unsaturated system under non-isothermal conditions”. European Journal of Environmental and Civil Engineering, 17(5): 350-373.
- Devasena M and Nambi, I.M (2013) In Situ Stabilization of Entrapped Elemental Mercury. Journal of Environmental Management, 130, 185-191.
- Berlin, M., Suresh Kumar, G., and Indumathi M Nambi. (2013). “Numerical Modeling of the Effect of Immobile Water Content on Nitrate Transport in an Unsaturated Porous System”.CiiT International Journal of Data Mining Knowledge Engineering, Vol. 5(4), pp. 144-150.
- Vasudevan, M., Suresh Kumar, G., and Nambi, I.M. (2012). Effect of rate limited dissolution and sorption on concentration tailing of multi-component petroleum hydrocarbons from residual sources. Int. J. Earth Sci. Engg. 6: 1750-1756. ISSN: 0974-5904.
- Pavithra Prakash and I.M. Nambi(2012), “Dissolution and Contaminant transport in Aquifers with Spatially and Temporally Variable Hydraulic Properties”, Special Topics and Reviews in Porous Media – An International Scopus indexed Journal ISSN: 2151- 4798. Review completed.
- Pavithra M and Nambi, I.M. (2012) “NAPL contamination in soil and groundwater” International Journal of Emerging trends in Engineering and Development vol 2(2) ISSN No. 2249-6249
- Vasudevan, M., I. M. Nambi., and G. Suresh Kumar. (2011) “Application of QUAL2K for Asessing Waste Loading Scenario in River Yamuna” International Journal of Advanced Engineering Technology (E-ISSN: 0976-3945), vol. 2(2), pp. 336-344.
- Devasena, M and Nambi, I. M (2010) Migration and Entrapment of Elemental Mercury in Porous Media. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology,117, 60-70.
- Albino, D.J. and I.M. Nambi(2010) Partial characterization of biosurfactant produced under anaerobic conditions by Pseudomonas sp ANBIOSURF-1. Advanced Materials Research, 93 – 94, 623-626.
- Albino, D.J. and I.M.Nambi (2009) Effect of biosurfactants on the aqueous solubility of PCE and TCE. Journal of environmental science and health: Part A, 44(14), 1565 – 1573.
- Pavitra M and Indumathi M Nambi. (2008) “NAPL dissolution in heterogeneous porous media”, Journal of Environmental Research and Development, 3(2): 380-387
- Shihabudheen M Maliyekkal, Sanjay Shukla, Ligy Philip and Indumathi M Nambi.(2007) “Enhanced Fluoride Removal from Drinking Water by Magnesia amended Activated Alumina Granules”, Chemical Engineering Journal, Vol.140, 183 DOI 10.1016/j.cej.2007.09.049
- Nambi, I.M., Werth, C.J. and Sanford, R.A. (2003) “Investigation of Anaerobic Microbial Growth at the Pore scale using Silicon Micromodels-their response to nutrient mixing and changing nutrient concentrations,” Environmental Science and Technology Journal, 37: 5617-5624
- Nambi, I.M. and Powers, S.E. (2003) “A New Mass Transfer correlation for a heterogeneous system with randomly varying permeability distributions”, Journal of Water Resources Research, 39(2): 1030, doi:1029/2001WR000667, 2003
- Nambi, I.M., Werth, C.J. & Sanford, R.A. (2003), “A pore-scale investigation of anaerobic dechlorinating bacteria growth”, ACS, Division of Environmental Chemistry – Preprints of Extended Abstracts, pp. 493.
- Nambi, I.M. and Powers, S.E. (2000) “NAPL Dissolution in Heterogeneous Systems: An Experimental Study in a Simplified Heterogeneous System”, Journal of Contam. Hydrol., 44(20): 161-184
- Powers, S.E, Nambi, I.M., and Curry, G.W. Jr. (1998) “NAPL Dissolution in Heterogeneous Systems: Mechanisms and a Local Equilibrium Modeling Approach”, Journal of Water Resources Research, 34(12): 3293-3302
- Nambi, I.M. and S.E. Powers. (1998) “Simplified Lab-Scale Experiments to Quantify DNAPL Dissolution in Heterogeneous Systems”, In: Nonaqueous Phase Liquids – Remediation of Chlorinated and Recalcitrant Compounds, G.B. Wickramanayake and R.E. Hinchee (eds.) Battelle Press, Columbus, 49-54.
- Manivannan, I., S.E. Powers and G.W. Curry, Jr. (1996) “Dissolution of NAPLs entrapped in heterogeneous systems”, In: NAPLs in the Subsurface Environment: Assessment and Remediation, L.N.Reddi (ed.) ASCE, New York, NY, 563-574
*Please note that the last names, Manivannan & Nambi refer to the same person.
|1||Centre for Environmental Technology Dissemination, Demonstration and R&D for Industrial pollution..||TNPCB||Rs.5,00,00,000/-||2013-2017|
|2||Accelerated Treatment of petroleum chemical sludge using coupled Physicochemical , Photochemical, Electrochemical and biological processes||Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, MHRD & BPCL||Rs.97,00,000/-||2016-2018|
|3||Evaluation of strategies or the environmental restoration of pallikaranai marsh||TFDX||Rs.5,00,000/-||2013-2014|
|4||Re-use of waste water (Industry and Domestic) for irrigation in Kancheepuram Municipality||PWD||Rs.20,17,000/-||2012-2015|
|5||The changing risks posed by petroleum hydrocarbons in groundwater environments: Multiphase fluid.||DST/Australia||Rs.39,26,000/-||2011-2014|
|6||Bioremediation of petroleum contaminated site using bio surfactant producers||TNPCB||Rs.8,62,700/-||2011-2013|
|7||Groundwater contamination by organic solvent spills an experimental investigation of the dissolution||DST||Rs.10,14,000/-||2007-2010|
|8||Investigations on the performance of marine coastal collector well||LRAMP Lemelson foundation||Rs.2,28,000/-||2007-2008|
|9||Up scaling and Parallel Application of Multiple Mass Transfer Correlations to Quantify … distribution||IITM New Faculty Fund||Rs.5,00,000/-||2005-2008|
Sponsored Coordinated Project
|1||Sustainable water resources management of Chennai basin under changing climate and land use||DST/ Germany||Rs.47,13,800/-||2014-2016|
|2||Decentralized waste water management, benchmarking of public utilities and PPP||MOUD||Rs.2,00,27,000/-||2009-2014|
|3||Monitoring water quality in rural habitats of krishnagiri||UNICEF||Rs.5,55,240/-||2008-2009|
Sponsored Projects – Research Scholars
|1||Enhanced electrochemical advanced oxidation of antibiotics on novel bi-functional rotating dual drum||IIT Madras Innovation||Rs.4,50,000/-||2015-2016|
|2||Waste water treatment coupled with resource and energy production using microbial fuel cell||DST – WOS||Rs.20,95,000/-||2014-2017|
|3||Recovery and removal of oil from petroleum contaminated wastewater/sludge using advanced oxidation||UAY/DST/BPCL||Rs.26,45,000/-||2016|
Research Based Consultancy Projects
|1||Development of pretreatment of dyeing effluents in Kancheepuram||Kanchipuram Silk & Cotton Dyeing Waste Management Association||2016|
|2||Environmental site characterization at the Indian Oil Corporation lube plant and tondiarpet terminal||Indian Oil Corporation Ltd.||2016|
|3||Identifying hotspots in environmental pollution||Cholamandalam Ms General Insurance Co Ltd||2016-2017|
|4||Characterization of foundry sand for heavy metals and other parameters||FLSmidth Pvt. Ltd.||2016|
|5||Monitoring of remediation project at Tondiarpet site||Bharat Petroleum Corporation Ltd.||2016-2018|
|6||Tannery CETP performance evaluation & improvisation||Madhavaram CETP||2015-2017|
|7||Environmental site Characterization of oil spill site at tondiarpet||Bharat petroleum corporation limited||2013-2018|
|8||Development of Pretreatment of dying effluents in kancheepuram||T. Sundaravelu Mudaliar & Son||2016|
|9||Textile CETP performance Evaluations||Karaiputhur Comman Effluent Treatment Pvt Ltd||2015|
|10||Evaluation of waste water characteristics and design of treatment plant||SIDCO Industrial Estate||2014-2016|
|11||Treatability Studies for Hexavalent Chromium Bearing Leachate and run-off||ERM India Pvt Ltd||2015|
|12||Site characterization Studies at Nagarjuna Agrichem Srikakulam||Nagarjuna Agrichem Ltd||2014-2015|
|13||Sustainable irrigation using treated textile effluent||Vardhman Textiles Limited., Punjab||2013-2014
|14||Design Of Treatment Scheme For Pharmaceutical Industrial Estate Of SIDCO||Tamil Nadu Small Industries Development Corporation Ltd., Chennai||2011-2012|
|15||Impact Of Groundwater Quality Due To Land Application Of Distillery Waste||Amaravathi Cooperative Sugar Mills., Tamilnadu||2011|
|16||Evaluation Of Field Water Testing Kit||TWAD Board, Chennai||2006|
|1||ETP Sludge evaluation for incineration||Rohini Textile Industry (p) Ltd||2015|
|2||Adaptive management plan for Pallikaranai Marsh land||Care Earth Trust||2014-2015|
|3||Vetting Of Process Design For Water Treatment Plant At Udaipura||L&T||2014|
|4||Sewerage network and waste water treatment facility for gayeshpur municipal town||LARSEN & TOUBRO LIMITED||2014|
|5||Evaluation Of ETP At ITC Papermills, Badrachalam||ITC Papu Boards And Speciality Papers Limited||2013|
|6||Analysis Of Steel mill Waste For Reuse||Agri Steels Pvt Ltd Erode||2010|
|7||Evaluation of Existing treat system and design of treatment scheme for BHEL Ranipet wastewater||BHEL,Ranipet||2010|
|8||Evaluating Suitability Of Iron Plant Waste For Reuse||Agni Steels Private Ltd., Perundurai Tk Erode Dt||2008|
|9||Analysis Of Furance Wastes For Hazardous Heavy Metals||AGNI STEELS (P) LTD., ERODE||2007|
|10||Testing and Certification of Field Water quality test kits||TWAD Board,TN||2007|
|11||Periodic Evaluation of reuse of sludge from steel plants as construction material||Agni Plants||2006-2010|
Consultancy coordinated Projects
|1||Development of Detailed Project Report for Construction and Demolition Waste Management in Chennai Corporation||Corporation of Chennai||2015-2016|
|2||STP And Rain Water Conservation-Civil 7 Structural Design Vetting||Aqua Designs India Pvt Ltd., Chennai||2013|
|3||Testing Soil Samples From Pudupakkam Quarry||VA TECH WABAG LTD. Chennai||2010|
|4||Technology Validation Of Spent Pot Lining Utilization Processing||Indus Smelters Ltd Raipur||2008-2009|
|5||Environmental Audit of Effluent Treatment Facilities||Pioneer Textile Industry, Erode||2007|
Ph.D. Student Guidance – 6 completed 11 ongoing
M.Tech Guidance: 10 completed / 3 ongoing
Current M Tech Guidance
Srinivas Vijay – Synergistic remediation of heavy metal and phenol contaminated ground water using zerovalent iron
Chiranjeevi – Sustainable management of treated wastewater and sludge from IITM treatment plant
Pushpendra – Assessment of greenhouse gas emissions from wastewater treatment plants in Chennai
Current PhD. Student Guidance
- S Ambika – Remediation of heavy metal contmainated sites using iron nano structured particles
- C.Mekala – Ground water contamination due to reuse of wastewater for irrigation.
- Omkar Gaonkar – Transport and Transformation of pesticides in an unsaturated system of organically amended soils.
- Praveena Gangadharan – Wastewater treatment coupled with resource recovery and energy production using microbial fuel cells.
- Divyapriya Govindaraj – Development of modified electro-Fenton process for the removal of emerging contaminants from water and wastewater
- Bokam Rajasekhar – Characterization and treatment of petroleum contaminated ground water.
- Sharanya Sriram – Electrochemical remediation of aqueous and soil matrices contaminated with hexavalent chromium
- Sahila Beegum – Integration Of Solute Transport And Water Flow Model For Unsaturated And Saturated Soil Zone
- Anju Elizbath Peter – Characterization of air emissions from the open burning of municipal solid waste (MSW) and their impacts on air and water quality at the surrounding area
- Ramya Srinivasan – Enhancing biofilm growth and its application in treating emerging contaminants by electrochemical methods
- Nitha Ayinippully Nalarajan – Capture Zone analysis in Groundwater
CE 3040 Environmental Engineering
CE 5150 Environmental Chemistry and Microbiology
CE 5170 Physico Chemical Processes in Water and Waste water Treatment
CE 5280 Hazardous Waste Management
CE 5240 Ground Water Engineering
CE 5270 Transport of Water and Waste water
CE 5120 Environmental Monitoring laboratory
CE 5130 Environmental Process Laboratory
CE 3200 Environmental laboratory
CE 1010 Introduction of Civil Engineering
CE 6015 Solid Waste Management
- Short term courses organised – 3
- Workshop on treatment of sago waste water (May 2014)
- Demonstration & demensation workshop for sago industries (August 2014)
- Workshop on antibiotics and antimicrobial resistance in water systems – prevalence & impacts (March 2016)
- Contaminated Site Assessment and Remediation for Pollution Control Board Engineers
- Advanced Waste Water Treatment AICTE short term course
Details of State and central Government associated activities
Expert Committee member
- Ministry of Environment and Forests nominated member of State Environmental Appraisal Committee for assessing EIA reports and granting environmental clearance to all Industry and construction projects
- Ministry of Textile – Expert committee member for treatment of effluent dyeing units
- Central Pollution Control Board Technical Expert Committee Member for Contaminated Site Remediation
- Chennai Corporation Expert Committee member for evaluating proposals and tender documents for Integrated Solid Waste Management for Chennai City
- 5. Chennai Metro Water and Sewerage Board – Expert committee member for Review of Wastewater reuse for supply to Industries using RO process
- Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board Expert committee member for several initiatives
- Textile industry treatment
- Food waste Management
- Guidelines to mitigate Impact of Immersion of Idols on water bodies
- Guidelines for construction block manufacturing units
- Award Committee for selection of best district in term of Environmental management
- Environmental Training Institute programs
- State Department of Environment – Expert committee member for Comprehensive restoration and management of Pallikarnanai Marsh Land
- Board of Studies member Anna University , NIT Trichy