B.Arch., Regional Engineering College, Trichy, INDIA 2000
M.Tech., (Civil Engineering) IIT Madras, INDIA 2002
M.Sc., (Earthquake Engineering) ROSE School, University of Pavia, ITALY 2003
Ph.D., (Earthquake Engineering) ROSE School, University of Pavia, ITALY 2007
July 2017 – Present:
Associate Professor, Dept. of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras
June 2010 – July 2017:
Assistant Professor, Dept. of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras
Feb 2010 – May 2010:
Visiting Asst. Professor, Dept. of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras
Dec 2007–Dec 2009:
Post-Doctoral Fellow, Dept. of Structural Mechanics, University of Pavia Researcher, Masonry & Monumental Structures Group, European Centre for Training & Research in Earthquake Engg. (EUCENTRE), Pavia, ITALY
Sep 2003–Dec 2007:
Graduate Researcher, European School for Advanced Studies in Reduction of Seismic Risk (ROSE School), University of Pavia, ITALY
Structural Conservation of Historical Monuments
Seismic Response, Assessment and Retrofit of Masonry Structures
Seismic Risk Assessment of Structures at Urban Scale
Historical Seismicity and Seismic Hazard Analysis
- Kollerathu, J.A. and Menon, A.  Role of diaphragm flexibility modelling in seismic analysis of existing masonry structures, Institute of Structural Engineers (IStructE), UK, Structures, Volume 11, August 2017, Pages 22-39.
- Kollerathu, J.A. and Menon, A.  Interaction of in-plane and out-of-plane responses in unreinforced masonry (URM) walls under seismic loads, Journal of Structural Engineering, SERC Chennai (In Press: Dec 2017)
- Patil, S.G., Menon, A., Dodagoudar, G.R.  Probabilistic seismic hazard at the archaeological site of Gol Gumbaz in Vijayapura, South India, Journal of Earth Science Systems (Accepted for publication).
- Menon, A., X. Romão, E. Paupério, A.  Field Observations on the Performance of Heritage Structures in the Nepal 2015 Earthquake, 16th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Santiago, Chile, Portugal, January 9-13.
- Kollerathu, A.J., Sethumadhavan, K., Menon, A.  Modelling and Seismic Analysis of Existing Masonry Structures, X International Conference on Structural Analysis of Historical Constructions, Leuven, Belgium, 13-16 September 2016.
- X. Romão, E. Paupério, A. Menon  Chapter 13: Traditional construction in high seismic zones: A losing battle? The case of the 2015 Nepal earthquake, Seismic Retrofitting: Learning from Vernacular Architecture, Eds. M.R. Correia, P.B. Lourenco, and H. Varum, CRC Press 2015.
- Menon, A.  Heritage Conservation in India: Challenges and New Paradigms, Keynote Lecture, Proc. of the IX Intl. Conference on Structural Analysis of Historical Constructions, Peña & M. Chávez (eds.), Mexico City, 14–17 October 2014.
- Gandhi, R., Menon, A.  Seismic performance of bed-joint reinforced soil brick masonry walls, 9th International Masonry Conference, Guimarães, Portugal, 7-9 July.
- Project Coordinator of MHRD-sponsored Research Centre: National Centre for Safety of Heritage Structures (NCSHS), 2013-18.
Principal Investigator, Conservation of Sri Kedarnath Temple, Uttarakhand for Archaeological Survey of India (Dehradun Circle) April 2014 – December 2016.
Principal Investigator, Condition and Structural Assessment of Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi; Client: Central Public Works Department (CPWD), Presidential Estate; Co-Investigators: Prof. R.G. Pillai and Prof. A.K. Sengupta
- Principal Investigator (India), Bilateral Sponsored Research Project on Seismic vulnerability of historical structures in India and Italy in coillaboration with EUCENTRE, Pavia, Italy, funded by Regione Lombardia, Italy, October 2010 – April, 2012 (co-cordinators: Dr A Meher Prasad, Dr GR Dodagoudar)
- Principal Investigator (IIT Madras), Sponsored Research Project on Seismic vulnerability assessment of building types, in collaboration with IIT Bombay, IIT Roorkee, IIT Kharagpur and IIT Guwahati, spondored by National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), Government of India, July, 2011 – July 2012 (co-investigators: Dr A Meher Prasad, Dr CVR Murty, Dr Devdas Menon).
- Member of team of structural consultants for the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) for the Restoration of the Ta Phrom Temple in the Angkor Group of Monuments in Cambodia
Co-guide: Prof. G.R. Dodagoudar
Rohan Bhaskar (ongoing)
Seismic fragility curves for RC frames: Effect of form
Pratyusha Mohan Naik (ongoing)
Structural behaviour of dry-stack stone masonry walls
D. Dhandapany (ongoing)
Seismic behaviour of traditional timber-framed masonry constructions
Jofin George (ongoing)
Structural assessment of masonry arch bridges
Prabhakaran Kesavan (ongoing)
Non-linear modelling of masonry considering bidirectional interaction of in- plane and out-of-plane actions
Direct Displacement-based design of OGS frames
K.S. Lalitha (Inter-Disciplinary CS-CE ongoing)
Image reconstruction algorithms
Shibu Samson J. (ongoing)
Optimisation of dynamic identification for model updating in old masonry towers
CE5011: Advanced Design of Masonry Structures
CE6780: Advanced Structural Mechanism
CE7014: Structural Safety of Historical Monuments
CE1100: Concepts in Engineering Design
GIAN Course: 151003A02 – Seismic Analysis and Design of Masonry
International Faculty: Prof. Guido Magenes, University of Pavia, ITALY Dates: 08 – 20 February 2016 (2-week course)
GIAN Course 151003A04 – Seismic Risk Assessment at Urban Scale
International Faculty: Prof. Dina D’Ayala, University College of London, UK Dates: 18 – 24 April 2016 (1-week course)
GIAN Course 151003A01 – Rehabilitation of Historical Structures
International Faculty: Prof. Claudio Modena, University of Padova, ITALY Dates: 28 September – 08 October 2016 (2-week course)
Participated in the Faculty Development Programme 2010 organised by the Centre for Continuing Education, IIT Madras from 8-10 December 2010.
Coordinator, AICTE-sponsored short-term training programme (STTP) on “Structural Restoration of Historical Monuments”, 2-7 January, 2012, Dept. of Civil Engineering, IIT Madras (Co-coordinator: Prof. M.S. Mathews).