Hydraulics and Water Resources Engineering (HWRE) Group
Department of Civil Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai-600036, Tamil Nadu, India
Admission Requirements: The admission to the Ph.D. research programme is through interviews and tests conducted in the department.
Admission to regular Ph.D.
- 1. Master’s degree in Civil Engineering or Ocean Engineering (including integrated M.Tech. / M.E. degree) with First Class or equivalent grade for specialisation in Civil Engineering, or
- 2. Master’s degree in Industrial Engineering / Industrial Management / MBA after obtaining a basic degree in Civil Engineering with first class, or
- 3. First class Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Architecture, Town and Country Planning.
Degree Requirements: The course work normally consist of two core courses and at least four electives at the post-graduate level. The duration of this course for full time scholars is 2-5 years and for the external registration people it is 2-7 years. A Doctoral Committee (DC) is formed to monitor the progress of each PhD candidate. This committee consists of the Head of the Department, guide(s), two members from the department, and one member from an allied department, Students are admitted to the PhD programme via interviews conducted in the department twice a year.
Procedure for Assignment of Guides/Topics
- 1. The freshly admitted M.S./Ph.D. candidates shall meet all the faculty members working in the related areas and discuss their research interests.
- 2. Based on the topics suggested by the faculty members and the candidate’s own interest, the candidate chooses a topic and the guide and informs the Head of the Laboratory in writing.
- 3. Head of the Laboratory ensures student’s preferences are met, in consultation with faculty, and send a list of the new candidates with the names of the Guides allotted, to Head of the Department.
- 4. HoD Office, after due approval of HoD, will upload the name of guides for each candidate through workflow.
- 5. The candidate will start attending the classes as advised by the guide
Admission to Direct Ph.D.
Candidates with B.E./ B.Tech. are eligible for direct admission to M.S. + Ph.D. as a Regular full-time scholar in Engineering, subject to any one of these requirements:
- 1. B.S. /B.E./B.Tech. from a Centrally Funded Technical Institute (CFTI) with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 on 10.0 point scale.
- 2. B.Tech. from a CFTI without the above minimum CGPA with a valid GATE score.
- 3. Bachelor’s degree holder in Engineering/Technology with a minimum CGPA of 8.0 or equivalent from any other University with a valid GATE score.
- 4. Bachelors degree holder in Engg/Technology from research R & D Organizations having a proven research record.
Upgrading to Ph.D.
Candidates registered for M.S./ M.Tech./ M.Sc. at IITM are eligible for an upgrade to the PhD program in the same department, if they satisfy the following criteria:
- 1. For M.Tech.: completed all the courses prescribed for the first 2 semesters with a minimum CGPA of 8.0.
- 2. For M.S.: Minimum CGPA of 8.0 in the prescribed courses completed (at least three of the prescribed courses should have been completed).
Click here for M.S./Ph.D. Research Admission Portal .
Click here for more information on ordinances.